Thursday, May 3, 2007



Now you, my friends, are children of the promise, like Isaac. But just as at that time the child who was born according to the flesh persecuted the child who was born according to the Spirit, so it is now also. But what does the scripture say? ‘Drive out the slave and her child; for the child of the slave will not share the inheritance with the child of the free woman.’ So then, friends, we are children, not of the slave but of the free woman. (Galatains 4: 28-31)

I chose this study, in part, because I have carried an ill-informed bias against Paul for many years. It was time to listen more carefully.

The main point of Paul's message to the Galatians does not trouble me. The way he chooses to say it causes considerable concern.

Above he has taken a Genesis story and attempted to apply it to his argument. I think he stretches the allegory rather far. So have I from time to time.

Along the way he also - unintentionally, I think - sows dragon's teeth of discord and enmity between Gentile and Jewish Christians.

In verse 20 Paul expresses a desire to change his tone. I join him in that desire.

Above is Paul Preaching to the Thessalonians by Gustave Dore.

No comments: