Monday, May 7, 2007

You were running well; who prevented you from obeying the truth? Such persuasion does not come from the one who calls you. A little yeast leavens the whole batch of dough. I am confident about you in the Lord that you will not think otherwise. But whoever it is that is confusing you will pay the penalty. But my friends, why am I still being persecuted if I am still preaching circumcision? In that case the offence of the cross has been removed. I wish those who unsettle you would castrate themselves! (Galatians 5: 7-12)

I don't like Paul. But I may yet love him.

Paul is not a temperate man. He is madly in love with God. He is deeply in love with the Galatians. He is entirely convinced of the truth as he understands it.

Paul passionately desires that we join in this love affair.

We know that Paul circumcised Timothy (Acts 16:3). Apparently those advocating circumcision for all Christians had gone so far as to suggest Paul also practiced conformance with the laws and traditions of Judaism.

Like a jealous lover Paul lashes out at those who would tempt the Galatians away from him.

What I especially admire is that Paul's love is a call to radical liberty.

This jealous lover does not try to own, but seeks to set free.

No comments: