Tuesday, May 1, 2007

They make much of you, but for no good purpose; they want to exclude you, so that you may make much of them. It is good to be made much of for a good purpose at all times, and not only when I am present with you. My little children, for whom I am again in the pain of childbirth until Christ is formed in you, I wish I were present with you now and could change my tone, for I am perplexed about you. (Galatians 4: 17-20)

We are often attracted to externalities that will signal success. We may be attracted to a certain quality or design not for its innate value or beauty, but for what we hope it will tell others of our value.

Prestigious brands, exclusive clubs, and manipulative individuals have always used this common human trait to their advantage. Fairly or not, Paul is accusing those who have brought another gospel to Galatia of preying on this tendency.

Fundamental for Paul is giving oneself to Christ. There is no greater value than being in intimate relationship with Christ. There is no greater rank than being a true child of God. Every other purpose is pride or worse.

No comments: